Tuesday 3 November 2009

Old Favourites No 1 - Home-Made Instant Pancake Mix

Sitting in a traffic jam (one mile in 32 mins - the joys of London) I realised that it may look as though my Nigella books have sat pristine and unused on the bookshelf until now - which, of course, is not the case at all.

So as well as trying all the recipes I always meant to try, perhaps it's time to give a nod to a few old favourites too.

First up - Home-Made Instant Pancake Mix (Nigella Express)

Whenever I have travelled to America, I have always made a point of a visit to a diner. My sole purpose - the consumption of a vast stack of pancakes, dripping with maple syrup and slathered in fruit. Can there be a finer start (or middle, or end) to a day?

However, now I have discovered these little golden beauties I can save myself the air fare

Great idea to make the mix in bulk and store it on the counter. How fast a gloomy moment is lifted by the prospect of these fluffy treats - just the whisk of an egg away.

Easy, delicious, more-ish, we make them again and again. Have tried the blueberry syrup (recipe on same page) once too - nowhere near as sickly sweet as I expected and rather delicious - specially with some sliced bananas atop the pancakes. But actually a decent maple syrup will do you just as well, so why not save on the washing up by sticking the fruit alongside the bananas instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment